I have always been someone who likes to encourage others. Now don't get me wrong, I am also human and there are times that I am not a very good encourager, and tend to give a discouraging attitude. Something that I really want to change for my day to day journey. And that is something I work on everyday.
I have also always found it easy to write word of encouragement....I can see, feel or sense a situation and get compelled to send a note or an email letting that person know that they have someone who cares.
Not long ago I sent notes and letters to a woman who was going through a VERY difficult time with a situation her child was in. I didn't know this woman, just read about her and her son's story in the paper. But my heart was so moved that I couldn't sleep unless I wrote her a letter, telling her someone out here in this cold world that had enveloped her, cared and would be here. I spent over a year sending her notes and cards from time to time, until I knew the hardest part of the crisis had past. I later found out that each time my letter made it's way to her mail box, was the exact time she was at one of her lowest points. And that letter helped her take on another moment to her day.
Tonight, I received an email from someone else that I recently felt compelled to email. His words effected me and challenged me to see the bigger picture. After reading his two paragraph response to someone's blog, I searched for an email address and shared my thoughts and thanks with him. In his response tonight he thanked me for my email and said those familiar words "Your correspondence came at just the right time! "
I am not sharing this to pat myself on the back. Those of you who know me, know I really like to stay behind the scenes. I am sharing this because in todays world, we are busy and "think" to send a word of encouragement, or if we sit down to actually send that letter or email, we take a step back, and feel I don't want to intrude or seem like a stalker.
But if we took the time to encourage and share a few words with someone, even if they don't know us, I think the receiver wouldn't care if we intruded on their day. I think they would not only be grateful, but may just take the time to let you know your message came at just the right time.
So I come to you in the way I do best and want to intrude on your day.........I want to encourage you to take a few moments today, to reach out to someone that you sense may be going through a difficult time. Reach out to someone you may not even know and leave a note for them, or an email in their in box. You never know when it may make the difference in their day. But once you do it, you will feel the difference it makes in your day.
No comments:
Post a Comment